Phone: +49 341 97-30577
8 am–8 pm
8 am–7 pm
Special Collections Reading Room
9 am–6 pm
10 am–3 pm
From May 1
10 am–8 pm
Where to Find the Items
At Bibliotheca Albertina you may find different locations where items are available to read or check out. It depends upon their location if the items are available at once or if they have to be ordered. The respective location is displayed in the catalog.
- Open Access Areas (1st, 2nd and 3rd floor):
Items in the open access areas are systematically arranged by subject. They can be collected directly from the shelves by call number. The map of Bibliotheca Albertina shows the open access areas by subject. Items of the circulating collection have a white label, items of the non-circulating collection have a green label and cannot be checked out.
- Open Stack on the ground floor:
At the open stack the items are not ordered systematically by subject but by their access order (Nummerus currens). You find a map for orientation at the entrance to the open stack. All items here can be checked out. You may use the self-service terminals in the entrance hall. At the open stacks you also find the self-service shelves to collect requested and ordered items.
- Closed Stacks:
The closed stacks are not accessible. All items displayed in the catalog with location "closed stack" have to be ordered. Items of the circulating collection can be collected from the self-service shelves at the open stack, 1st floor. Items of the non-circulating collection, journals and books published before 1920, can be collected at the service desks at 2nd floor, east wing. Items published before 1850 can be used in the Special Collections Reading Room.
Delivery Timeframes for Ordered Items
When are your ordered items from closed stacks available?
10 am (order until 7 am)
3 pm (order until noon)
5 pm (order until 3 pm)
Collect the items:
- Circulating collection: self-service shelves at open stack, first floor. Items are available 7 opening days.
- Non-circulating collection, journals: service desk, 2nd floor, east wing. Items are available 7 opening days.
Working Places for Special Needs
Group study rooms
- 3rd floor, east wing
- 4 group study rooms of different sizes
- Reservation: online
- A room can be used at once if it is not occupied.
Single working rooms (carrels)
- 8 single working rooms for PhD students
- Reservation: waiting list (closed)
Study room for PhD students
- 10 workplaces for PhD students
- A new application period starts in summer 2017. The new dates will be announced on our website.
Workplace for visually impaired users
- Reading Room 2nd floor, east wing
Special Collections Reading Room
- 4th floor
- Use of items of the Special Collections
- 20 specially equipped workplaces
- Multimedia workplace
Literature of importance for your course, that should be available to all of your students can be placed in a course reserve for the period of one term. Those books cannot be checked out during the term. They will be placed on a special shelf in the respective open access area and be displayed at the catalog as located in the course reserve.
If you need a course reserve by yourself, please ask your subject guide. Further Information
List of course reserves at Bibliotheca Albertina
You can hire lockers at Bibliotheca Albertina to store your personal materials for a period of 60 days.
Here you can see if a locker is available and request one:
- All lockers at Bibliotheca Albertina
- lockers on 1st floor, east wing
- lockers on 2nd floor, east wing
- lockers on 1st floor, central wing
- lockers on 2nd floor, central wing
- lockers on 2nd floor, west wing
- lockers on 3rd floor west wing
You can pick up the keys from the service desk on the 2nd floor, east wing.