Sexualised harassment in the Bibliotheca Albertina and Campus Library
January 24, 2022
Trigger warning: sexualised violence, sexualised assault
Four cases of sexualised harassment have been reported at the Bibliotheca Albertina and Campus Library. The perpetrator(s) exposed their private parts and started masturbating in front of patrons. The cases known to Leipzig University Library (LUL) occurred at the end of last year and in January 2022.
We are shocked by these incidents and take them very seriously. LUL employees and security staff at the library branches have been made aware of the situation, and additional patrols are being carried out. We are liaising with the Leipzig police, with Leipzig University's Office for Equality, Diversity and Family Affairs, with the Student Council, and with the Office for University Communications.
The acts described are criminal offences and should be reported to the police by victims or witnesses. One way to do this is the online form of the Saxon police: https://www.polizei.sachsen.de/onlinewache/onlinewache.aspx ("Allgemeine Strafanzeige"). The LUL is in close contact with the Leipzig police and will assist those affected in this process upon request.
What to do in this situation?
- Ask bystanders for help and call attention to the situation.
- Inform library or security staff immediately. You can do this using the telephone numbers listed below under "Contacts". Library and security staff are aware of the situation and will provide you with further support.
- Report criminal acts to the police (110) and file a report with a criminal complaint. You can do so online.
- If you have noticed anything in the past, please let us know at email@example.com.
What is LUL doing?
- The LUL is liaising with the police, which has been informed about the incidents.
- Our employees and security staff are aware of the situation.
- Additional patrols by employees and security staff.
- Cooperation and coordination with the Equality and Life Policy Unit of the Student Council, the Office for Equality, Diversity and Family Affairs, and the Office for University Communications.
Contacts and further information