Open Access Publishing Fund
The Open Access (OA) Publication Fund of the University of Leipzig covers the costs of articles in OA journals. The fund received funding from the German Research Foundation (DFG) in the 2014–2019 Open Access Publishing programme and has been funded from central sources since 2020.
The prerequisites for funding from 2020 are:
- The submitting, corresponding author responsible for the payment of article processing charges must be affiliated with Leipzig University.
- The journal of choice publishes all articles open access immediately. Open access options for single articles in subscription journals do not qualify for support.
- The journal complies with the accepted scientific standards of the respective field of research. Commentaries and other formats that are non primary research formats that are generally not supported.
- Authors publishing results from third-party funded projects are obliged to verify that there are no dedicated means available for publication within those funds. In cases where funding is available, but does not suffice, the difference can be paid from the publication fund.
- Funded publications must be accompanied by a reference to funding from the publication fund, for example: "funded by the Open Access Publishing fund of Leipzig University supported by the German Research Foundation within the program Open Access Publication Funding" or "gefördert durch den Open-Access-Publikationsfonds der Universität Leipzig, mit Unterstützung der Deutschen Forschungsgemeinschaft im Programm Open-Access-Publikationskosten".
Publication costs of up to 2,000 Euro per article are fully covered (including VAT). If the total costs exceed 2,000 Euro, the difference must be covered by the authors' own budget and third-party funds.
Please inform yourself about the prerequisites of funding and submit an application using the web form.
You will receive feedback on the formal eligibility of your application as soon as possible. Acceptance is always subject to the availability of funds at the time of invoicing and only for the current calendar year.
If you have any questions in advance, please contact the Open Science Office.
To ensure the scientific quality of the open access support at Leipzig University, the open access publishing fund is attended by representatives of the rectors office. Scientists are supporting the open access office in edge cases and are reviewing the supported journals on a yearly basis.
The representatives of the rectors office responsible for the open access publishing fund:
- Prof. Michael Schaefer (Rudolf-Böhm-Institute of Pharmacology)
- Prof. Marius Grundmann (Institute of Experimental Physics II)
- Prof. Christian Wilhelm (Institute of Biology)
Regarding the quality of open access journals please also take a look at further information about open access journals.
- Directory of Open Access Journals (DOAJ)
Lists open access journals and allows browsing by subject
- Mitglieder der Open Access Scholarly Publishers Association
Association of publishers of open access journals that adhere to a strict code of conduct
- Committee on Publication Ethics
Commitee on the ethics of scientific publishing
Enables searches of open access journals and plots author charges versus impact
- Open Access Journal List von Thomson Reuters
List of open access journals in Thomson Reuters Web of Science
Tip: use the Web of Science database to search for open access journals in your field!
- QOAM – Quality Open Access Market
Plattform for the evaluation of open access journals. Share your experience!
- JANE – Journal/Author Name Estimator
Semantic search tool not only for open access journals, especially useful for scienes