Open Access Publishing Fund
The DFG supported Open Access Publishing Fund of Leipzig University was established in 2014 to support authors paying article processing charges in open access journals.
Criteria of support
Criteria to qualify for support from the open access publishing fund:
- The submitting author responsible for the payment of article processing charges must be affiliated with Leipzig University.
- The journal of choice publishes all articles open access immediately. Open access options for single articles in subscription journals do not qualify for support.
- The article processing charge does not exceed 2,000 € per article (19% VAT included). Partial support of article costs exceeding this limit will not be possible.
- The journal complies with the accepted scientific standards of the respective field of research. Commentaries are generally not supported.
- Authors publishing results from third-party funded projects are obliged to verify that there are no dedicated means available for publication within those funds. In cases where funding is available, but does not suffice, the difference can be paid from the publication fund.
Please do not forget to mention support from the fund, e.g. "The author(s) acknowledge support from the German Research Foundation (DFG) and Universität Leipzig within the program of Open Access Publishing" or "Dieser Artikel wurde durch den Publikationsfonds der Universität Leipzig und das Programm Open Access Publizieren der DFG gefördert."
printable version (PDF – 150 kB):
To ensure the scientific quality of the open access support at Leipzig University, the open access publishing fund is attended by representatives of the rectors office. Scientists are supporting the open access office in edge cases and are reviewing the supported journals on a yearly basis.
The representatives of the rectors office responsible for the open access publishing fund:
- Prof. Michael Schaefer (Rudolf-Böhm-Institute of Pharmacology)
- Prof. Marius Grundmann (Institute of Experimental Physics II)
- Prof. Christian Wilhelm (Institute of Biology)
Regarding the quality of open access journals please also take a look at further information about open access journals.
Agreements with Publishers
Leipzig University established payment agreements with the following open access publishers:
A prepay account with BioMed Central is in place since 2015 to allow central invoicing of APCs in all BioMed Central Journals at a 20% discounted price. This account is financed by the DFG-supported open access publishing fund of Leipzig University. The costs can be covered from the publishing fund, if all criteria for support are met and according to the funding conditions. You can profit form the 20% discount also if you do not meet the funding criteria and want to pay the APC from another source. Please contact the Open Access Office for further details.
During the submission process with BioMed Central, authors will be asked for a code in order to authenticate as affiliates of Leipzig University. You will receive this code after applying to the publishing fund through the online form (see above).
Starting March 1, 2016 an institutional account is established with the open access publisher Public Library of Science (PLOS). APCs for articles in the Journal PLOS ONE will be accumulated and invoiced monthly to the Library. The costs can be covered from the publishing fund, if all criteria for support are met and according to the funding conditions.
Since February 2016 a Central Invoicing Arrangement is in place with the publisher Frontiers Media S.A., that allows for monthly central invoicing of APCs in Frontiers Journals. The costs can be covered from the publishing fund, if all criteria for support are met and according to the funding conditions. Please note, that several Frontiers Journals exceed the funding cap of 2.000 EUR and the authors will be responsible for the payment of these APCs.
Since February 15, 2016 a central payment agreement is active with the open access publisher MDPI AG. APCs for articles in all MDPI-Journals will be discounted by 10% for authors of Leipzig University and invoiced monthly to the library. The costs can be covered from the publishing fund, if all criteria for support are met and according to the funding conditions.
The Gold4Gold programm of the Royal Society of Chemistry has been terminated by the publisher in will not be continued in 2017.
Information on open access journals
- Directory of Open Access Journals (DOAJ)
Lists open access journals and allows browsing by subject
- Mitglieder der Open Access Scholarly Publishers Association
Association of publishers of open access journals that adhere to a strict code of conduct
- Committee on Publication Ethics
Commitee on the ethics of scientific publishing
Enables searches of open access journals and plots author charges versus impact
- Open Access Journal List von Thomson Reuters
List of open access journals in Thomson Reuters Web of Science
Tip: use the Web of Science database to search for open access journals in your field!
- QOAM – Quality Open Access Market
Plattform for the evaluation of open access journals. Share your experience!
- JANE – Journal/Author Name Estimator
Semantic search tool not only for open access journals, especially useful for scienes